If you are having trouble restoring past purchases, please check the following:
- Purchases made on an iOS device can only be restored on an iOS device. Similarly, purchases made on Google Play or Amazon Appstore can only be restored on another device using the same market. Unfortunately, this is a restriction by the operator of the app stores (Apple, Google, Amazon, etc), and we have no control over it.
- If you are on a slow network, restore will sometimes time-out with an error “Nothing to Restore”. Please try re-doing the restore on a faster Wifi network. Occasionally, by waiting a while longer after getting the error message, the restore can still complete successfully.
- For iOS devices (iPhone, iPad):
- Please take a look at Apple’s FAQ on common restore issues.
- In order for restore to work, the device MUST be tied to the same AppleID that the purchase was originally made on. If the device has a different AppleID, you can switch it to the original AppleID temporarily, finish the restore, then go back to the new AppleID. Here is how to change the AppleID on your phone.
- In-app-purchase must NOT be disabled, otherwise restore won’t work. Here is some more information on disabling/enabling in-app-purchase.
- If you are trying to restore to an older iOS device running a much older version of iOS (eg. iPad 1 running iOS 5.1.1), AND the purchase was made on an up-to-date iOS device, it’s possible that the restore won’t work. This is an iOS restrictions. One possible way to work around it:
- Ask Apple for a refund of the purchase made on the newer device.
- Remake the same purchase on the older iOS device (eg. iPad1)
- If desired, you should then be able to restore the purchase on the up-to-date device.
- If you are getting an error that says, “THIS IS NOT A TEST USER ACCOUNT” or something similar, it is likely an issues related to the iOS upgrade. Here is some information:
- For Google Play Android devices:
- In order for restore to work, the device must be set to the same Google Play account that the purchase was originally made on. Here is some more information from Google Support. Here is also instructions on what to do if your device is currently not tied to the Google account that originally made the purchase.
- For Amazon App Store:
- Purchases made from the Amazon Appstore, even on a none-Kindle Fire devices, have to be restored from the Amazon Appstore. Similarly, the Amazon Appstore must be tied to the same Amazon account that the purchase was originally made on.
- On the Amazon Kindle Fire, you may need to restore from the Cloud rather than from the store. Please give that a try as well. Here is some info.
If you continue to have issues, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. In the email, please tell us what app you are doing the restore for, what device the original purchase was made on, and what device you are restoring it onto. Thanks!